Report from private life.
Preparing for the typical Swedish Christmas table, the magnificent smorgasbord called ”Julbord”. This traditional feast is served already on Christmas Eve and is an orgy of herrings, hams and meatballs, all cooked with sugar and loads of saturated fats.
These were wonderful foods, once-a-year, for a semi-starving farmer in 1890. But today this fare does not quite cut the mustard.
This year I am planning to do something different, a clean version, inspired by my fitness guru Rita Catolino. The objective is to create a feast for the eye and mouth, satisfying and fun, yet without causing inflammation.
Some ideas are:
- Salmon- smoked and cooked. Or marinated in fennel, lemon juice, apple..
- Ham-cooked and baked a la Nigella Lawson
- Kale- red and green, oven baked, cooked with spices and coconut oil.
- A gluten free, paleo inspired bread with nuts and berries
- Mustard-Dijon mixed with honey
My challenge now is to replace the sugars and butters in all the recipes.